Waze is an alternative mapping solution to our integrated Google maps used in FieldInsight.
Google is the default mapping solution, however you can also enable Waze and have the benefit of both.
Waze Maps – Waze is a community-based maps and navigation app. Drivers share valuable real-time data about accidents, traffic incidents, speed limits, and other trip info that helps other drivers get the most out of their trips.
Google Maps – Google Maps is a full navigation solution that operates like the other map apps that users are accustomed to. They are baking more community-based features into the app, but it focuses more on Google’s huge domination of mapping.
Part 1: Download Waze App
Waze is to be used in the Mobile App view.
Pre-requisite: The Waze app must be downloaded to the mobile device. If you are going to enable Waze for your Account, all Technicians will need to download the Waze App to their mobile devices.
Please instruct them to visit their relevant App store (Apple or Android) and download the Waze app.
It is Free.
Part 2: Enable Wave in FieldInsight
Go to Settings > Misc and scroll to the Mobile App section and Enable 'Show Waze map link'
Part 3: scheduling a job
When scheduling a job make sure that you search and find the location on the map. This is needed for both the Google Map and Waze link to appear and work properly in the Mobile App.
Once Waze is enabled in Settings (above). From any Open job in the Mobile App 2 map links will appear. Map and Waze
Click 'Map' to open the standard Google Map and directions.
Click 'Waze' to open Waze Map and directions.
The Main Differences
There are a few key differences between Google Maps and Waze:
- Waze is community-based, Google Maps is more data-based
- Waze is pretty much just for cars, Google Maps offers walking, driving, biking options, and street view.
- Waze requires a data connection, Google Maps is available offline
- Google Maps includes business data such as menus, hours, and phone numbers, while Waze does not
- Waze offers real time info such as road closures, traffic alerts and real-time traffic conditions based on driver data. Google Maps has only started to include some of these features recently.
- Google Maps uses a traditional navigation interface, while Waze offers a sleek and minimal interface using the latest in design language.
- Google Maps is fairly basic, Waze offers a high level of customization (including celebrity voiceovers!)
In short, Google Maps is a simple but powerful navigation tool that selects the quickest and most efficient route.
Waze collects data from a bunch of different users and leverages that data to tailor your trip experience, giving you the most efficient route that’s free of obstacles and other nuisances.
It is totally up to you which map you use, if you have any issue with Waze you can always use the Map link (to access Google).